Roberta Wilde © Art in Death 2016
Known in former times as the “Cimetière de l’Est” , it is a wide, real City of the Dead with beautiful monuments and decadent, romantic gothic style chapels. Opened on 21 May 1804, it is the largest cemetery in Paris while the columbarium and a crematorium of a Neo-Byzantine style were designed in 1894. Final restin place of many notables, vandalized by fans in the past has been fortunately restored in recent times and the vandalized graves protected. Still in use, it is worth a visit for the quiet atmosphere of the place.